Tuesday, March 31, 2015

'Konmari me

I've been on a bit of a spring cleaning kick this past week. 

Not a binge, just a lil kick. 

My neighbors are cleaning out their garage. 



What's behind spring cleaning? I theorize that the nice weather makes us feel better about ourselves and life and when we feel well, we have more energy and motivation. 

It's not like I have more time now than previously. I mean, yeah I'm working 25 hours a week whereas I was putting in 37+ before Bubba came along. But he more than makes up for that time difference. 

What did I do with myself before he was born? In retrospect I had sooooo much free time to work on pet projects. Instead, in retrospect, I wasted sooooo much time on the internet. 

I recently deleted Facebook and Pinterest apps from my phone. No regrets. 

When my kindle battery recharges I'm going to buy Marie Kondo's book. I've been skimming through a number of organizational blogs but they haven't done much for me. In short, they propose this: 

1) Spend a small fortune on dozens of cute color coordinating containers. 
2) Organize your things in said containers. 

Uh. My material problems run deeper. Or should I say I need more help than that. My thinking about belongings and stuff and necessity need challenging.

I've heard that's what Marie Kondo offers--a philosophy of decluttering. Asking yourself "does this [piece of crap] bring me joy?" "What am I really fearful of in letting it go?" 

At least that's what the reviewers suggest. We'll see. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice! My other theory about spring cleaning is that, after being cooped up in your house all winter, it's filthy. That's the case here for sure. I keep hearing about Kondo but I'm still partial to Organization for People with ADHD. It doesn't have any of that how-to-fold nonsense--just get rid of junk, get a bin, throw it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Kondo book. Best organizational book I've ever read. I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete