Saturday, November 15, 2014

Lazy Girl's Pantry Concoction

This should begin with a confession that I like my own cooking.

Also, I am not a picky eater.

Win win for me.

I have no pictures of the soup I made this evening, but I'm sure your facebook's news feed provides you with more than enough pictures of what other people are eating. Not that you would care.

{just imagine a bowl of thick golden-orange liquid garnished with green stuff}

But if you like pumpkin, Thai flavors, and something hot to sip on, you should try this soup sometime:

~ Two (standard) cans of pure pumpkin puree. Butternut squash would work too.

~ One can of coconut milk (full fat!)

~ About three cups of water (give or take)

~ About 3 teaspoons of beef broth concentrate/paste -- this is your salt; adjust to taste. You could make this vegan and use veggie broth instead. I really love the "Better than Bouillon" brand.

~ One tablespoon of Thai red curry paste

~ One or one and a half cups chopped cooked/roasted red bell pepper (I get big jars of them from Sam's Club, packed in water)

~ Lots of finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves. (Wishing later I had some thinly sliced jalapeno too : )

Combine everything in a pot and heat that stuff up. Sprinkle cilantro and ground black pepper on top and serve.

I love soup. 'Enjoyed making something a little different from my usual beans/ground meat/onions/celery scrap stews.

3 comments:

  1. Making this! Where do you find red curry paste? Usually what section of the store or do you hit up an ethnic grocery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Thai Kitchen brand; I can usually find it in most grocery stores in the Asian food aisle. It's ground red chillies, garlic, lemongrass, shallots, and kaffir lime.

      Delete