Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Material Girl

Sorry. This shopping theme has been weighing heavily on my mind recently. 'Probably because Black Friday, my third favorite holiday of the year, is right around the corner.

I know I won't be caving on any new clothes [for myself] this week, but my hiatus will most likely end prematurely after Christmas Day. I do want to take advantage of the post holiday sales, and if I can go even 358 consecutive days without shopping, then I've proven all I need to prove to myself.

Besides, there's a good chance I won't be buying many clothes next year either. For one, I know we'll be moving yet again, and don't feel like moving any more stuff than I have to. Secondly, I've got my eye set on buying or building a dwelling within the not oh-so-distant future, and I would much rather have a down payment than lots of new outfits that won't be worn because this girl just doesn't get out much. Thirdly, I don't know in what shape my body will be next year, so why waste money on the wrong sizes?

But back to this current week. If Black Friday draws me in, it will possibly be for some baby supplies if there's any good stuff on sale. But it will have to be some very persuasive discounts. The buy-buy-baby bug has yet to bite. I even leisurely wandered around Babies R Us and the Baby Outlet at Burlington Coat Factory a few days ago. It just didn't do anything for me. I'm excited about the kid of course, but--looking over all the rows of pink and blue doodads--I was bored.

I don't know if she or he is a he or she.
I don't know if I'll miscarry or have a stillbirth.
I don't know what I'll need.
I don't know where I'd put it.
I'll just have to be moved later anyway.
Blah.

So much for nesting.
Or maybe I just nest on a larger scale: I want my own house, damnit. I don't want to read one more 18 page lease detailing all the rights of the landlord while the lowly tenant gets zip. Yeah, sure: If your fan falls from the ceiling and gashes my face open, I promise not to sue.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

  1. You'll probably get so. much. baby stuff as gifts. No need to buy it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. The baby stuff bug never really hit. It was always nice and fun to be given stuff but like you said I was bored in the stores. We've had to buy very little because of people's generosity. I enjoy baby/little boy stuff more now that he's here. By the way, since you'll probably be moving after baby arrives and you don't really have much space let me know if you want to borrow our Moses basket. It would suffice for the baby's sleeping space and at least could hold you over until you moved and had space for a crib or whatever you decide to do. Anyway just a thought and one that I should probably just have texted you ... HAPPY TURKEY DAY! Gobble gobble. (Said in a John's Mr. Bean voice)

    ReplyDelete