Sunday, November 24, 2013

A year without clothes. I mean . . .

 . . . as you probably have heard me whine about, I gave up clothes shopping for a 2013 New Year's resolution. Here we are in November, and I can't believe the year has gone by so quickly. I also can't believe I'm saying this: forgoing shopping was much, much easier than I anticipated. (Why can't my other resolutions go this well??). In fact, I'm considering continuing the trend for 2014. But back to that later.

Did I fail? Admittedly once, at the very get-go. I went on an online shopping spree at the end of 2012, taking advantage of the post-Christmas sales, and even earning a lockdown on my check card. Yes, I had to tell my bank that all those purchases were legitimately my own. Anyway, on New Year's day there were two Eddie Bauer items left in my virtual shopping cart. I had forgotten to check out before leaving the house for New Year's Eve. So, yes. I clicked "purchase now" and sealed the deal January 1. Oops!

But in my own defense, I made several exceptions/rules before I embarked on this quest, and I have not taken advantage of my own allowances. E.g. I specifically gave up clothes--not shoe--shopping. But I've found myself just veering away from the ladies departments altogether in stores, unsubscribing to emailed sales notifications, and ultimately purchasing very few accessories and shoes. The shopping habit has been roundly suppressed. I also made an exception for maternity clothes if I got pregnant. But even so, I think I can--and aim to--make it to the end of the year without needing any.

Also, this was an ideal year to abstain from collecting new clothes in that I have very little wardrobe space in my current home. I didn't foresee that as a factor during last year's decision making, but it's worked out for the best. If I bought any more clothes, I honestly don't know where I would put them. My last few rentals have afforded me multiple closets and walk-in closets. Not so here. Meanwhile, I've simultaneously experienced the very liberating sensation of giving away bags and bags of rarely worn clothes and shoes. I'm enjoying the lighter load for the time being.

And I have more thoughts on this, but it's time to watch the Walking Dead. All lesser matters must wait.

5 comments:

  1. Yay! Good for you. Tell me if you want me to sell clothes for you on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't know much about it. I also don't know what (if any items) would have been worth more than the shipping cost.

      Delete
  2. We got rid of several garbage bags filled with clothes this year. It felt good. Although my not-shopping has NOT felt good because it's been involuntary. Just don't have no money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh. You know it kills me to think you got rid of clothes that you could get $$$ for.

      Delete