Monday, October 28, 2013

not-so-bad sick

I'm sick with a cold. I can't complain too much because it's just a cold, and I can't remember the last time I was sick--maybe a year or so ago. Also, it struck right after my last shift and since then I've happened to have several days off. It's one thing being gross and snotty in the privacy of a home; it's another while you're at work, surrounded by people, and not allowed any decongestants. Ryan got sick first and decided that, if I couldn't take any cold medicine, then neither would he. So it's been a shared misery  irritation.

And, thanks to him, I've had pho to eat every day for the last 4 days. Maybe it's not truly anti-viral, but it sure is the most soothing placebo available. And with enough jalapenos and chili paste mixed into the broth, it will definitely drain your sinuses.

On top of that, we were dog sitting for a friend. Removed from the clutter and chores of my own house, I've had the pleasure of lounging around, drinking copious amounts of liquids, and reading books (which in my normal milieu just doesn't happen often enough.) Plus, I can feel the baby move now, and that is pretty darn cool.

Speaking of books, I did a lot of shopping on Amazon and bought a gazillion used baby books. So much of my past Amazon experience had been buying expensive textbooks; it really surprised me how cheap used paperbacks could be. They've been trickling in through the mail day by day, and I'm trying to speed up my reading rate (currently at about 1 book every 6 months. No bueno.)

Dr. Bradley's signature work came first, Husband Coached Childbirth. It's interesting, if only for perspective's sake. It's really not an instructional manual or anything. Reading this guy, he'd have you think all natural births are pieces of cake and that medicated deliveries are all-out evil and destructive. He tells story after story of all natty post-partum mommas scooping up their freshly-birthed babies in one arm, grabbing an orange juice in the other, and waltzing out of the delivery room. 

I'm about 75% through the book, and he's yet to mention any deliveries that were less than idyllic. I know enough to know this is ridiculously biased, but can appreciate the historical context in which he was writing. He came up through an obstetrical culture that was hooked on a "Knock 'em out, drag 'em out" mentality. This natural, unsedated childbirth thing must have been a tough sell a few generations ago, and he saw himself as a pioneer trying to prove a point. Ultimately I do agree with most of his conclusions, and I'm thankful people like him have made so many more options available today. 

Meanwhile, I've discovered an app that is more addicting than Facebook or Pinterest. It's the community pregnancy forum hosted by the What to Expect When You're Expecting site/book. People share everything from soap opera drama ("My mother in-law with-whom-we-live is inviting my husband's ex/baby momma over for the weekend! I can't believe her! I have to share a roof with this woman??") to the practical ("I can't feel the baby yet . . . is this normal?"). 

Ryan discovered this app on my phone and was highly entertained. He proceeded to read through all the posts in Teen-Girl-Squad voice

pregnancy forums as my husband sees them

He had me crying it was so funny. Apparently everything is better articulated as a catfight and knocked up a few octaves. And I promised myself this would not turn into a mommy-blog, so I'm stopping now. 


6 comments:

  1. Ha! I own the one parenting book you should bother reading, but I've loaned it out. I'll get it back and mail it to you pronto.

    And agreed re: Dr. Bradley. And that lying on your side, breathing deeply through contractions idea is BS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breathing deeply helped me. It harkened back to my dance days. The only way to get through the putting-your-body-in-a-position-that-doesn't-seem-natural was the breathing Ms. Nannette taught us. I probably used "Ms. Nannette's Child Birthing Techniques" more than Bradley's, but if you were serious about looking into that hypnotic birthing approach, Liz, then Bradley is related. Sorry to disagree Laura.

      Oh, I do agree that the side lying thing was so not comfortable. I just wanted to curl up in a ball and die.

      But I kept breathing.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yeah, I think we're on the same page (not that we have to be but you know); breathing was really important. But I could NOT lie in bed. That was torture. I had to be standing, pacing, and the kneeling/bending/squatting through contractions. . . . I'm interested in hypno-birthing but even MORE interested in an epidural. ;-)

      Delete
    3. Don't worry, I'm not going to put my two cents in... haha. After all, I'm an EXPERT at these things.
      I just wanted to comment to say that Megan Reetz is the one to talk to about hypno-birthing. Just an FYI if you want to talk to someone who has done it. (less than a month ago)

      Delete
    4. I first heard about hypnobirthing from Megan (and her blog). The book came in last week; 'haven't started it just yet. But hey, it sounds like it let that handsome 10 pounder slip right out:

      http://www.megsunshine.blogspot.com/2013/10/owens-birth-story.html

      Delete