Saturday, April 27, 2013

A tale of two pink meats

Ryan met with some friends the other night while I was at work. Being the lovely people they are--and fantastic cooks--they sent him home with a box of {gourmet} leftovers for me: crusted grilled salmon, fruit salsa, new potatoes, green salad, crab dip, crostini, et al. Quite a tasty treat for the end of my day.

But, being tired and distracted, I failed to check the fridge when I got home. Well, I only checked it once and not the usual five times. (Because, you know, you just don't see all the possibilities the first time you stare in there.)

That morning I also happened to have a hankering for Chef Boyardee, which is my guilty pleasure. I had brought home a caseful of canned Chef Boyardee the last time we were at Sam's Club. However, the canned stuff is really supposed to be saved as emergency food stuffs. I mean, in our home if Ryan sees you open a can of soup or ravioli there had better be a power outage or zombies in the street.

But Ryan had already left for class. So I cracked open can of the delicious pink-slime-meat/product & white pasta slathered in salty tomato sauce, ate, and was semi-satisfied. And I went through the regular motions of hiding the evidence: burying the can deep in the garbage, rinsing the bowl well, not leaving the can opener out . . . and then I saw the salmon. Oooh. I had missed out. 

And busted. My clean-up must have been sloppy 'cause Ryan still found out about the Chef Boyardee when he got home. 

6 comments:

  1. Ha! Funny. Do you really like Chef Boyardee? I love all sorts of disgusting processed "foods" but that stuff does nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzie's liked Chef Boyardee ever since we were kids. She'd hoard the stuff in her closet, remember? Sorry you missed out on the salmon ... for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and their spaghetti and meatballs is waaay better than their ravioli, just FYI.

      Delete
  3. LOL, Lizzie. That's hilarious. Speaking of zombies, largely based on the fact that I saw you mention it on the blog (and knowing our shared taste in movies), I started watching Walking Dead. Oh man, am I addicted. I can't wait until season four starts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! It's going to be a long summer . . .

      Delete