Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Misadventure with Color

So I took the leap last week and dyed my hair.  It was one of those quarter-life crisis kind of days when pink hair and a nose piercing is strangely enticing. However, I had been contemplating highlights for a while. I think I like having long hair . . . meaning I haven't found a short cut I like. But I don't want to be one of those people stuck with the same hair-do for a decade. Or two.

I really like the "ombre" look or making a color gradient lightening the tips. Like so:



This is the actual picture I showed to the hairdresser:


With a "we can totally do that" response, the guy undertook a three hour transformation. 

I've never colored my hair before; 'didn't really know what to expect.  The last time someone did my hair, it was for my wedding, and the girl was really rushed. So I appreciated him taking his time.  But you really don't know what you're in for until the hair is done and dried.


Oooh. I liked it. 

However, this was after an hour of styling with a high powered blow dryer and a curling iron. Parts of a daily routine? No.

 


The curls fell out later that evening.  My hair was so brittle; cardboard was softer. And it smelled strongly of chemicals. So I washed it, soaked it in a thick conditioner, and went to bed. 

At four in the morning I was awake. Why not stare at and scrutinize the new 'do?


Hmm. It reminded me of the brassy blonde you'd see on people who spent too much time in a chlorine pool. 

I'm okay with the color, but it wasn't a gradient like I wanted, and it wasn't just the ends of my hair that was affected.  Almost everything up to the crown of my noggin was dyed.

The meth lab called. They want their junkie back.

But my real problem is this big strip of "face framing highlight" that is not really by my face. It's a colored chunk that runs down the side of my head. I see it and think white trash. 



My feelings about hair dye are that it should look like one of two things: 
1) Natural color or
2) Purposely colored.

But it should never look like colored hair trying to look natural. Phony!!
That's how I feel about the piece by my left ear.






5 comments:

  1. Where did you go and would you consider going back and saying, "This is NOT what I wanted" and demand the job to be fixed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Lizzie! I don't think it looks as bad as you think, but if you're unhappy, I second what Martha said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I third (?) what Martha said. Or maybe, find someone else, 'cause I am afraid he would make it worse. Omber doesn't go all the way up. . . poor Lizzie. The color itself is pretty on you! ~T

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." -Dixie Grit theme quote located just a short scroll up. According to this, the man-seeking-man who did her hair did it right.
    -RCT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you'd be happy (er) if you went back and asked them to put some toner on it - take out the brassiness. It's simple and works immediately.

    ReplyDelete