Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Years! Resolution #2

I thought I'd wait until the big day itself before breaking some really big news.

For 2013, I'm going to be a . . .









non-shopper! kind of!

If you know me, you know this is truly a big deal.


this is me

Here's my actual resolution: to forgo recreational clothes shopping for the year.

I don't want to be so unrealistic that I set myself up for failure.  My problem is not buying clothes that I need; it's buying clothes that I don't need.  So here's my exceptions.

There shal't not be any buying of clothes in 2013 except:

- for people other than myself / as gifts

- new scrubs as necessary for work (real exciting, I know.)

- a suit if necessary for a job interview (which I do not anticipate, but just in case).

- a fabulous pair of jeans. Because you know you only find these once a decade or so.

- outerwear if I move to Montana or Alaska or someplace (similarly unlikely).

- Preggo clothes: also not anticipated but a remote possibility.

Shoes and accessories are not included.

This resolution may sound very lenient, but for me it's a genuine challenge.  I'm actually kind of excited because I haven't made any real disciplinary effort in a long time.  And unlike other resolutions of the past, this one does not involve the overcoming of inertia.  (I'll tackle that next year.)  This is simply saying no to all the beautiful things that come my way.  I don't have to do anything.  I simply have to not do.

Expect me to save hundreds of dollars.  I mean, I already have enough clothes. They just need to be utilized better.  The wake up call for me is not finding what I want because what I want is buried under piles of clothes.  It's embarrassing.  And I look forward to the forced inspiration of having to make-do with what I already have.

I hope it will also make me smarter.  I've wasted so many brain cells on virtual clearance racks, and those cannot be recovered. Here's hoping that 2013 will be full of books : )





7 comments:

  1. I laughed when she told me this; not to be mean, I just couldn't help it. We'll see...
    -RCT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the first exception. And i totally believe in you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW I'd be interested in reading blog posts about how to do over the course of the year. Get more creative, organize your closet, practice extreme willpower in the face of once-in-a-lifetime deals. Kinds of like puttingmetogether.com. But perhaps this would conflict with Resolution #1? Anyway, I'd be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "how *you* do over the course of the year . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! Would you consider keeping us posted on how much you save?

    --Pat

    ReplyDelete