Wednesday, December 19, 2012

home on the range

If I had more money, this is what I would spend it on . . . or in:



or this:



or this:



I've long been allured by the idea of living off the land, or on a farm. I mean, what kind of girl gets chickens for her fifth birthday? Still, I also envied kids in suburban neighborhoods. They seemed to have more friends and more fun. Ryan seems to cherish his boyhood growing up in a close neighborhood filled with friends and mischief-making. Almost thirty years later, some of his best friends are still the guys who grew up right around the corner from him.

And yet, there was that romantic call of the Little House of the Prairie books, beckoning me to bigger spaces.

Anyway, for our various different reasons, the two of us are increasingly attracted to the idea of having more land and fewer neighbors.



Check this out: "off grid home comes complete with wind turbine, solar and gas generators and a wood burning stove" + twenty acres and a beautiful log cabin in Montana. For $250,000. I can't believe it. That kind of money can hardly buy you a studio in northern Virginia.





http://www.landandfarm.com/property/20_acres_in_Deer_Lodge_County_Montana-519781/

Or, for even more space to yourself, can you imagine this little fixer-upper on 29 acres in Kenai Peninsula County, Alaska?




If we lived there, we'd bring some of these:





Complete with local wildlife in the front yard. (Yes, bear photos were actually included with the real estate listing):



So, for Mr. Grizzly, we'd keep some of these Karelian Bear Dogs, bred and used by large game hunters and farmers in Finland and western Russia for centuries.





And arm the children with . . . well, some very large bore weapons.

Or can you imagine this? 1,200 acres selling for less than a million dollars. Over one thousand acres. I can't even wrap my mind around that. I'd feel like a queen of my own country.



In addition to the dogs, I'd really need a horse 
to ride while surveying our property.  
(Okay, I'm afraid of saying I want a horse without a practical reason for having a horse. I don't want to look like a crazy cat lady. You know horse people are crazy just like cat ladies. It's true.)

But I really want a horse . . .




Queen of Versailles


when you could practically buy your own National Park for a mere fraction of the price?


Who's the real queen here?

That would be me. Clearly.





Sigh. Now I just need to win the lottery. I could conceivably afford mortgages like those on my current salary if I kept working and working. But the whole point of moving westward would be to quit working in filthy hospitals, so hence my dilemma . . .

4 comments:

  1. Well now it all depends: Does that leopard dress get thrown into the deal?

    Read an interesting article in the WSJ about a month ago about one of the five richest people in the USofA. I forget his name but he seemed like one cool dude. He had invested his fortune on realestate...actually, land, I should say. I think he privately owned an amount of land equivalent to or greater than the state of Rhode Island. He rarely allowed for interviews and he doesn't use or have email. Most of his land is located in Montana, Wyoming, Texas... anyway, it was a cool article.

    By the way, Jacob really wants y'all to move to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. So far away. And I'm glad you wrote about that Versailles place in FL. I remember reading about it in the WSJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha, sorry to disappoint, but Texas figures in nowhere within my plans... or dreams rather. Too many people. If you haven't looked into the Zetas, read up on them. Though they're more a problem in Arizona right now, TX isn't that far if they expand their ops. Laura, 'so far away' is the idea. The less people per square mile the better. If the economy totally tanks, logistics go to hell and people can't get food, populated areas will become quite dangerous. I noticed none of you commented on the Bracken essay Liz posted a ways back. If you haven't, take a gander. Not that anything like that will happen, but you may want to at least put some mental plans in place. At minimum get one of those big bags of rice and some dried beans from Sam's in case logistics are disrupted. You can always write off the critics by telling them its your 'hurricane stash.'
    -RCT

    ReplyDelete