Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas in Florida

Ryan and I have the complex blessing of having both of our families living in town.  And I genuinely mean it; it is a blessing. I know if my car broke down at any hour of the night, there are over a dozen different people I could call to come rescue me. 

But it does complicate the holidays a wee bit.  I suppose it would be easier--in some ways-- if everyone lived apart.  Then holiday travel plans could be clear cut: We spent Christmas with the T's this year; we'll spend it with the H's next year . . . and so forth.  But with everyone so close, it's tempting to cram multiple family gatherings into a single day.

So we decided we'd keep Christmas Eve simple and to ourselves, since it's our first as Mr. & Mrs. 








Okay. And really just because I wanted an excuse to play dress up and go out somewhere.






I had a minor victory with my hair.  I'm really drawn to the retro "bump-it" look, and I think I finally learned to tease it right.  The hard part is layering smooth strands over the rats' nest you created for volume.  Anyhow, it's a start.  And maybe I got so distracted with my hair, I forgot to wake Ryan up until 15 minutes before we had to leave. Ooops.


Still a little messy

My inspiration here . . .


Left side

Right side

Think I could pull off red hair?




My nails were half a disaster, of the first-world kind.  I had just painted 3 coats on them yesterday, but a few rounds of dishwashing had ruined the polish.  Grrr.  Having developed a soft spot for all things bling-bling, I really wanted sparkly red paint for Christmas.  In the end, I had to choose curling the ends of my ponytail over touching up my nails.  But I did do a quick touch up job in the car ride; 'glad that stuff dries fast.  My nails are pretty awful close up, but at least the people at the table beside us couldn't judge me.

Done.  I'm ending that subject right now because I'm imagining what some poor Somali woman might think of me complaining about my nail polish. I cringe.




We went to Jackson's steakhouse downtown.  It was very good and cost a pretty penny.  Unfortunately, the degree to which it was delicious was outdone by the degree to which it was expensive, but oh well.  Now I've tried it and know better.

Neither of us actually ordered steak, which didn't even come with sides or a veggie.  You had to buy a $30+ piece of cow, and then separately purchase an $8 bowl of green beans.   No thanks. Ryan and I, being the homegrown Floridians that we are, love us some good seafood. We had crab cakes, baked oysters, and shellfish stew, all of which were finger-licking good. 






Jackson's did serve some delicious cocktails.  I finished up with one that was concocted of some blackberry puree and rosemary  ("Ferdinand's Rosemary" I believe it was named). Very tasty, and no dessert needed after that one.

We came home to a bottle of bubbly, presents to open, and TBS's 24 hour marathon of a Christmas Story before going out again for midnight mass.  


 



I love Christmas movies.  We watched White Christmas over the weekend.  As a kid, all the sarcasm and humor went over my head (as with a Christmas Story).  Nowadays those movies only get better and better.



Like Phil Davis' comment to Bob Wallace (Bing Crosby): "Well, you're happy for the wrong reasons, and that's worse than being unhappy."  Gosh, how true is that?



Or, when the guys see their old commander carrying in firewood:

Phil Davis: "You're . . . a  . . . a janitor!"

General Waverly: "Never thought I'd make it, huh?"

Phil: "Oh no sir, I mean, you'd do whatever you put your mind to, sir"

Gen. Waverly: "Well, it's worse than that: I own the place." ( = my dad's favorite line. Oh the joys and pains of being a small business owner.)

Feel free to correct my quotes.

A real treat, though, was watching the Pacific Northwest Ballet's Nutcracker on Netflix while wrapping presents.  When my life feels out of order, there is something therapeutic about watching professional ballerinas.  They are in sync to the point of perfection. 


And the pas de deux of the Sugar Plum Fairy just makes me cry.




Anyway, I'm working Christmas night, so I'd better wrap this up.  I think I'm going to read some Isaiah and hit the sack.  I know Isaiah's suffering servant is really more in the vein of Easter, but it's mysticism always seemed better paired with the eeriness, if you will, of Christmas and the dead of winter.

"And a shoot shall spring forth from the stump of Jesse . . ."

Except that it's 70 degrees right now. Sigh. 

Thanks to Grace for hosting the festivity : )

6 comments:

  1. Ooh i started crying when i was listening to the Pas music! And you two look fab. Mr.and Mrs. Smith watch out. How much fun to go out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.s. Should i have Ryan buy you a Bump It for a 12 days of Christmas present?xxoo

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love your shoes! And I'm drooling over the seafood you ordered.

    It's funny that you said that it is hard having both families near on the holidays because I was thinking that it would be so much easier if our families were close rather than across the country from each other. The grass is always greener! That was really sweet that you two got to spend Christmas Eve just with each other.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you via C.P!
    Can you come do my hair next Christmas?!
    You looked beautiful! Your husband is a lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet! What a fun Christmas Eve!! You both look fantastic, and your hair turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "My dear partner, when what's left of you gets around to what's left to be gotten, what's left to be gotten won't be worth getting, whatever it is you've got left."

    Love the shoes.

    ReplyDelete